This post contains my affiliate link. I only recommend things I really like and I like what I’m recommending today so much I’m also giving away five of them. Just leave a comment at the end of this post to be entered in the giveaway! (Read Disclosure Policy here.)
This is the “How” part. Read the “Why” part here.
I know exercise is good for me.
I know it helps with energy, mood, sleep, weight, general overall health, pretty much all the areas I could use some help in.
I know this, but actually putting what I know into practice–yeah that wasn’t happening for more than a few days out of the month, if that.
Until, I came across this book: “Do What You Can” Plan: 21 Days to Making Any Area of Your Life Better.
Within the first chapter Holly Gerth, the author of the “Do What You Can” Plan , asks the reader to choose a goal to work towards. I chose exercise. She then encourages the reader to take that goal, think of the minimum amount that you want to do and then cut that in half.
“What?” I thought to myself. “I want to do 15 minutes as my minimum, half is 7.5 minutes which is like nothing. How is that going to even be beneficial?”
But the more I thought about it the more sense it made. I really want exercise to be a life long habit and not something I start and can’t (or won’t) keep up with.
So I decided to give it a try to do ten minutes most days. I can find ten minutes a day.
We have a treadmill in our bedroom (we bought the floor model from our local Sears and got an amazing deal on in it) so I really have no excuse. So now I put on some work-out clothes, stretch a bit and get to walking.
I don’t worry about a shower after, that will add to much time and I’m not working up that much of a sweat in my ten minutes. (However if I did go longer and got really sweaty I simply use a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol on it under my armpits, it does a wonderful job getting rid of sweat smell, then change clothes and I’m good to go).
Making it as simple and un-time consuming as possible has been key for me.
I plan to increase the time frame in the coming months to where I’m really getting the full benefits from it, but for now I’m making it a priority without making it impossible for me to do.
Four simple ways to get started with exercise:
1. Pick three of your favorite upbeat songs. Play them and dance along! This is a great, fun, mood-lifting way to get exercise in. Kids can participate too (or you can do it in the privacy of your bedroom and really go all out!)
3. Walk in place for ten minutes. This can be done anywhere, while cooking, doing dishes, watching TV etc. This is a good way to get the blood flowing and your heart rate up without having to do too much preparation.
4. If you’re at a strip mall (like grocery store etc) park far away from the store and before you go in the store walk up and down the strip for about ten minutes. Then do your shopping.
- Whatever you choose to do, make it fun. If it’s not fun and you dread it, you most likely won’t keep up with it. Make it fun and keep it short at first.
- Start slow. Don’t try to jump into a five days a week, hardcore thirty minute program. Work your way up to it. Start small and make it a habit. As you see the benefits and you’re keeping up with it on a regular basis then start increasing the time as you can manage.
- Slowly work it into your schedule. As you exercise your energy will increase and your sleep will get better, which will make managing all you have to do easier. As you see the benefits and you have more energy, start increasing the time and rearrange your routine as necessary to make room for it.
Giveaway Has Ended!
And finally, I really recommend “Do What You Can” Plan: 21 Days to Making Any Area of Your Life Better by Holly Gerth. It was a quick but very impactful read for me and really helped me to get jump started in the exercise arena. I plan on re-reading it in the future to help me establish some habits in other areas and reach some other goals of mine.
Does The “Do What You Can” Plan sound like something you’d want to read?
If the answers yes, just leave a comment on this post and you’ll be entered for a chance to win ONE OF FIVE copies (I always think it’s super fun to win a little something so be sure to enter and be blessed by this serious gem of a book :-)!) I’m giving away.
Giveaway ends Tuesday August 27th at 11:59 PM, Pacific Time. I’ll update this post by Thursday August 29th with the winners. The book will be in kindle e-book form. (If you don’t have an eReader you can download the kindle reading app for your phone, tablet, or computer from Amazon.) I will also email the winners and if I don’t hear back in 24 hours another winner will be chosen.
If you’re reading this by email or in a feed reader click here to come to the site and enter for your chance to win!
Debra Lee, Brigid and Wani, I hope you enjoy the book! You should have received an email with a link to download it! Enjoy :-)!
This book is definitely one of my favorites, I hope you enjoy it too!
*A doctor should be consulted prior to beginning any exercise regimen.